[thelist] Scanners w/ 35mm slide option?

javier velasco javier at msm.cl
Tue Nov 28 09:59:54 CST 2000

"Luther, Ron" wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I've been following the digital camera discussion with much interest.
>
> However, some of us still have waaaay too many $$ tied up in analog glass.
>
> Anyone have a scanner that does a good job with 35mm slides that they'd like
> to recommend?
>
> (Yes - price IS important!)

If you have your nice camera and your set of lenses, lots of filem archive
and you know digital cameras aren't enough for you unless you spend
big money, get a film only scanner

I have a slide scanner (Minolta dimage dual scan) about $500
it scans film only, slides, negatives, color, b/w 35mm / APS (optional)
it has an optical resolution of 2400+ dpi, 8 bit.
the only cons are speed and brightness, to scan 100 slides can take you a
*whole day* not kidding, and if your images have some dark subtle area
it won't get much detail there, (but its $500.)
i've scanned slides on scanners with adaptors, but it's not the same sharpness
and color precision (the best of these i've tried are the agfa duo), but the
slide scanner it better.

if you want more speed and color depth, try with Nikon, very expensive,
i bet they're worth it.

so far i'm more than happy with my minolta.

you can check some spiney images at http://mantruc.com/cactus

<tip type=jpeg sharpening>
the best way to sharpen photographs is the Unsharp Mask
filter, settings: amount 100, threshold 0, radius 0.6 for 72dpi (screen, web)
learnt by book ;-)
</tip>

--
javier velasco