[thelist] Application Architecture

Frank framar at interlog.com
Thu Nov 30 16:23:28 CST 2000

I've been exploring application architecture issues, playing around a bit with
Fusebox. It has some great ideas, as well as some pitfalls, mentioned in other
threads. Here are some trends I've noticed, and I would be interested in hearing
how you approach these things, what solutions or style items you've come up
with.

Some things I like about fusebox is the separation of display, action and query
pages, as well as the uniform naming of the files (dsp_, act_ and qry_). When
ever possible, I approach the creation of my files much like creating objects.
Makes debugging a lot easier.

I tend to build the admin side first and keep them in a protected folder called
'Admin', with the database our of the public area. I've noticed however that the
duplication of files between admin and public is high. The files are 90%
similar. Does anyone one here organize their files differently?

Do you re-use the same templates with switches for whether it has admin markings
or not? How have you found that it works for you, in terms of pro and con? Are
there ways of referring to templates other than though a path (like calling a
function)?

How have you approached the issue of modularization and integration? I sometimes
am not sure whether something should be a very complex cf_tag or an app in it's
own right.

I'd be interested in hearing about your favourite links, books, etc...

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com