[thelist] RE: JavaScript: Get contents of second window

Simon Forster simon at ldml.com
Fri Dec 1 03:50:40 CST 2000

> From: "jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : From: Simon Forster
> :
> : Does anyone know of a way to see the contents
> : of a second window using JavaScript?
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> both pages on the same server or different servers?
>
> do you have access to both documents or only one, if so, which one?

I plan to have one master window which'll open content in a second window.
The master window needs to access content in the second window.

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : By this I mean is there an object property which'll
> : give me the underlying html of a shown page?
>
> it depends.
>
> what browsers and platforms are you looking to support?

Version 4+ Netscape, IE 5+ on PC and Mac OS.

I guess the (practical) answer to the original question is no. What a pain.

Simon Forster
LDML Ltd, 28 Montgomery Road, London, W4 5LZ, UK
<tel int="+44 20 8995 5694" uk="020 8995 5694">
<fax int="+44 20 8995 6013" uk="020 8995 6013">
<mailto:simon at ldml.com>