[thelist] Browser Detect with JavaScript

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Fri Dec 1 13:05:49 CST 2000

Matt,

> It's my understanding that Communicator 4.08 was the latest generation 4
> release of Navigator. All later versions of Communicator were changes in
other
> portions of Communicator (i.e. other than Navigator).

	This is what I have understood, too. Except I've decided that it
can't possibly be true: Netscape has continued to patch Communicator 4.7x,
primarily for browser holes, while leaving the stand-alone Navigator, well,
standing alone. As well, I recall some cross-frame issues cropping up in one
of the post-Navigator versions of Communicator. Since Netscape hasn't
updated its 4.x documentation in three years, Navigator 4.08 and
Communicator 4.7x are the same on paper, but in practice they are not.

James Aylard