[thelist] Browser Detect with JavaScript

Michael Collins mcollins206 at home.com
Fri Dec 1 13:21:25 CST 2000

I should have stated before that I am after compatibility with CSS 1,
and within that I would generally stick to properties that are known
to be compatible, as defined by:

http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml

BTW, those familiar with the webreview CSS1 compatibility chart
should check it out as they have added Netscape 6 to it. And it
appears that they give a yes to compatibility with just about every
property (except text-decoration and margin).

  At 1:23 PM -0500 12/1/00, Warden, Matt wrote:
>It's my understanding that Communicator 4.08 was the latest generation 4
>release of Navigator. All later versions of Communicator were changes in other
>portions of Communicator (i.e. other than Navigator).

 From what I remember, on the Mac they allowed you to download
navigator separately and 4.08 came out after communicator was revved
to 4.7. So it seems that navigator 4.08 is as good as communicator
4.7. But I don't want to allow greater than 4.08 since that would
allow 4.5 - 4.6.

The question though is to confirm or reject the idea that the very
latest of the Netscape version 4 browsers have enough support of CSS1
as to make them usable? Perhaps I am mistaken but it seems that they
do. I would have liked the webreview chart to have used Netscape 4.7
or 4.72 even to show CSS1 compatibility instead of 4.5.

Again, what I am after is to give a warning to browsers I feel are
incompatible with my personal definition of today's base-level user
agent. I wouldn't disallow them for trying the site anyhow, but the
users would be warned it won't work correctly and be given links to
update new browsers, and perhaps I should give links to buy new
computers in some cases ;-)

What I am looking for is to not interfere with the experience of 90%
of users out there. I am going by the web review Web Browser Market
Share Leaders chart:

http://www.webreview2.com/browsers/browser_faq.shtml

Though I know it is not definitive, it is what I would suspect anyhow.

Michael
--
==> Michael Collins
--> Kuwago Web Services