[thelist] Browser Detect with JavaScript

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Dec 4 10:42:16 CST 2000

aardvark,

> i guess that's where we diverge, because i have many pages that
> validate to HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS1, but that work in all
> browsers on all platforms... i could provide you with a list to prove
> it, but i think you get my point... i don't use every attribute and
> element just because i can, i only use the ones that degrade
> gracefully...

	Okay, I see where you're coming from, and why in some ways we seem
to be in disagreement (but probably aren't really). I guess we're talking
degradability versus capability. Some HTML 4-specific capabilities degrade
reasonably well in HTML 4-incapable browsers. But my understanding of the
original post was, if a browser doesn't meet this standard (capable of HTML
4 and CSS 1), I want to tell visitors to my site that they will have an
improved experience by upgrading their browsers. By the degradability
standard, IE 3 could conceivably be included, but I think we'd both agree
that would be a weak match.

James Aylard