[thelist] Netscape and CSS

Michael Collins mcollins206 at home.com
Mon Dec 4 12:40:21 CST 2000

At 8:08 AM +0000 12/4/00, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
>One huge, overwhelming problem with this solution: old Netscape 4's
>(around 4.05) consider the loading of a page also a resize event.
>Therefore in the oldies you get a page that just keeps on reloading.

In that case you can check if the width or height has changed before
doing the reload:

function reloadPage(init) {  //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
   if (init==true) with (navigator) {
     if ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
       document.pgW=innerWidth; document.pgH=innerHeight; onresize=reloadPage; }
    }
    else if (innerWidth!=document.pgW || innerHeight!=document.pgH)
{location.reload();}
}
reloadPage(true);

Problem is that this reloading does not fix my CSS issues as it does
not allow the external style document specified with the link tag to
be reloaded as well.

Someone sent me a much longer script (from the GoLive 5 JavaScript
library) that does a more sophisticated reload of the page. It does
solve the problem on static pages (though the page appears
momentarily without styles before being loaded). However, it does not
solve my particular issue as it will not work with Lasso as the CGI
dynamically builds the page.

Michael
--
==> Michael Collins