[thelist] .HTML extension

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Dec 5 13:42:30 CST 2000

At 07:01 PM 12/5/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Question:  (which I could probably find the answer to on the web, but I'm
>sick of looking at the Google logo for the time being) Does a HTML file need
>to have a .HTML extension before it's recognised by the browsers (and I mean
>all browsers)?  Will the tags <HTML> and </HTML> suffice?

Its the web server that sets the Content-type header so that the browser
knows what to do with the file. However, IE ignores the Content-type header
and reads the extension, as well, as the first part of the file and makes
it own determination of they file type.

Change the "default" with caution.

---
Anthony Baratta