[thelist] "Non-3d" form boxes

Gerd Baumann gb at inetwire.com
Thu Dec 7 02:02:41 CST 2000

> From: Jeff, Sat, 2 Dec 2000
>
> bob,
>
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : From: Bob Haroche
> :
> : input {
>
> :  border : 333333;
> :  border-style : solid;
> :  border-top-width : 1px;
> :  border-right-width : 1px;
> :  border-bottom-width : 1px;
> :  border-left-width : 1px;
> :  color : #000000;
> :  font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> :  font-size : 13px; }
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> or the above could be reduced to this which will produce exactly the same
> look:
>
> input {
>
>   border : 1px #333333 solid;
>   color : #000000;
>   font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>   font-size : 13px; }

Bob, Jeff and others,

I'm trying to apply some style to my form elements for the first time,
namely to the *select* element. To my surprise, Jeff's shorthand version
for border broke the forms elements completely in NN4.76/Mac, while Bob's
border declarations worked - that is the select elements didn't show any
style, but looked ok otherwise. If I change the shorthand to

border-style : 1px #333333 solid;

it also seems to work. All three versions show style in NN6, of course.
I'm wondering: Is this a Mac bug? How do others apply styles to select
elements? Have you experienced any broken select elements - that is: no
scrollbar, no "drop-down arrow", all the options of the select listed in
one line of text?

Thanks for your comments, remarks, warnings,

Gerd