[thelist] "Non-3d" form boxes

s t e f stef at nota-bene.org
Thu Dec 7 03:20:12 CST 2000

[sender: Gerd Baumann || date: 09:01 07/12/2000 +0100]
>Bob, Jeff and others,
>
>I'm trying to apply some style to my form elements for the first time,
>namely to the *select* element. To my surprise, Jeff's shorthand version
>for border broke the forms elements completely in NN4.76/Mac, while Bob's
>border declarations worked - that is the select elements didn't show any
>style, but looked ok otherwise. If I change the shorthand to
>
>border-style : 1px #333333 solid;
>
>it also seems to work. All three versions show style in NN6, of course.
>I'm wondering: Is this a Mac bug? How do others apply styles to select
>elements? Have you experienced any broken select elements - that is: no
>scrollbar, no "drop-down arrow", all the options of the select listed in
>one line of text?

Gerd,

The problem is the same in NN4.*/Win. It displays a square bordered space
after the input zone itself, amazingly.

I resolved to either use two stylesheets or not apply border style at all
to form elements.

s t e f

"Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Products: It is very easy to be blinded to
the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from
getting them to work at all." (excerpt from the HitchHiker's Guide to the
Galaxy)
     Douglas Adams, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish