[thelist] Indexing by Search Engines of dynamically created documents.

John Loy ArtsSciWeb at virginia.edu
Thu Dec 7 10:12:27 CST 2000

I'm kind of new to the world of server parsed HTML. I have been
webmaster for the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of
Virginia for about 4 months and have, up to this point, only dealt
with static HTML a few CGI scripts and Javascript. I am now charged
with putting together what will eventually be a fairly formidable
online periodical about the college and its associated persons. I
think a server parsed, data-base back system is the way to accomplish
some of the functionality we'd like to have. There is a problem
though. If I set things up so that the article text is in a database
and is flowed into a Cold Fusion or PHP document or such, then how do
I insure that the major search engines will turn up results that
point to the articles. It would be nice if someone could go to
Google, and search UVA for information about the music program and a
certain notable professor and have articles from our periodical turn
up in the results. If the article is never actually a real HTML
document residing somewhere under the site root then how will spiders
index the stories? If there is a trick to getting these articles
indexed please let me know.

Thanks so much for your time,

John Loy
Webmaster