[thelist] database central

rudy Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Thu Dec 7 11:32:13 CST 2000

> When did databasecentral.com get bought
> and redesigned into an icky, icky portal?

hi david

   "DatabaseCentral.com was acquired by TechTarget.com
    in July 2000 and now forms the basis of searchDatabase.com's
    extensive library of Web Links."
    --
http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/searchDatabase_Meet_the_Editorial_Team/0,281937,,00.html

> Why do companies feel the overwhelming need to
> break perfectly good interfaces? grrr...!

pressure from the marketing dept?  absence of a usability dept?
propeller-heads running amok, i.e. utter and complete corporate domination
by the technology dept?

lest you think i'm kidding, i can't come up with any other reason that
adequately explains why when techtarget also took over whatis.com they
proceeded to invalidate millions of bookmarks around the world by
implementing a new url scheme based on some lame-ass content management
system that generates file names like

 http://whatis.techtarget.com/WhatIs_Definition_Page/0,4152,212307,00.html

i guess we can't complain too much, though, because in both of the
abovementioned sites, the content is all still there (as far as i can
tell)

rudy.ca