[thelist] Beonex = Netscape 6 lite?

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 04:52:04 CST 2000

Netscape 6, eh?  Fred Langa's come up with some shocking findings about the
AOL installation - http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/25.htm - but
more interestingly, his latest newsletter suggests that there is another
browser which uses the same engine (Gecko) as Netscape 6 but without all the
extra AOL crap.

<quote source="Fred Langa">

Beonex draws these pointed comparisons between their Gecko-
driven browser and Netscape's Gecko-driven browser:

   "Higher level of security / privacy by default
    No integration with websites
    No membership
    We cannot identify you while you are surfing the web
    No manipulation on content level
    We don't sell links in default bookmarks, ratings in search
       engines or similar. We believe in open competition on a distributed
       Internet."

You can see a full list of features at
http://beonex.com/communicator/doc/feature/ , or download the 6.44MB
installation package at http://beonex.com/communicator/version/0.6/.

Although Beonex is beta (and is still buggy) it looks very promising,
especially if you like the core of Netscape, but dislike all the
clutter that comes along with it.

</quote>