[thelist] sql spaghetti or script?

rudy Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Fri Dec 8 11:52:19 CST 2000

> "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

LOL

> generally, performance-wise, it's better to let
> your SQL do the work rather than your script.

+1

>  These records can be active once only, annually, monthly,
>  weekly, daily or always (default), and they have a start
>  and end date. If the active period is monthly, only the
>  day part of these dates is considered, and so on for weekly,
>  daily etc. The shortest rotation period has priority. When
>  the dates are inserted, unused parts of the dates will be
>  given default values so I can assume that they will always
>  be the same.

liz, if you prefer to do this offlist, that's fine by me, i'll be happy to
help you (i love dates in sql, and i'm pretty good at mangling them, as
anthony would say), but if you want to continue on list, i am afraid i
shall have to ask you to rephrase the above -- maybe it's me, but i can't
write sql for requirements i don't fully understand

no offence -- like i said, maybe it's me

rudy.ca