[thelist] Networking: Localhost AND the net?

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sat Dec 9 14:19:58 CST 2000

>Yes, softrouter uses NAT. Basically, your other computers get a different
>IP, and softrouter moves everything through the cable IP. Mac1 and Mac2
>talk to each other across AppleTalk, AND both of them touch the net as
>well. In softrouter I've told it that Mac2 has an IP of such, and
>softrouter goes 'Take this IP, and make it read/write to the net'.

Then all you have to do is replicate the MAC2 Gateway and sub net setting
on PC1. Make sure you assign a valid IP. e.g. if the Gateway (Mac1) is and Mac2 is, make the PC

That should get you up and running.

Anthony Baratta
Keyboard Jockeys