[thelist] email submit???

Liz Lawson lizlawson at charitycards.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 03:35:24 CST 2000

>> <form method="post"    action="mailto:yourname at yoursite.com"
>> enctype="text/plain"><input type=text    name=your_comments>
>> <input type=submit    value="Submit Your Comments"></form>
>
>I get an 'access denied' message in my browser window. Is this because the
>form is trying to access a 'sendmail' program?

The above does work for me (win 98, ie 4).

No, there's no 'sendmail' program, only your normal mail client. Assuming
that you have replaced yourname at yoursite.com with an active e-mail address,
the browser is just trying to launch whatever mail client it is configured
to use: the same one that would launch if you clicked on a normal "mailto:"
link. It could be that your browser / mail client aren't set up to work
together, or it could be that your security settings don't allow mailto:
forms. If you don't use a mail client (maybe you always use your hotmail
account, or you're on a public access machine), the mailto: won't work.

These are the sort of problems which make using action "mailto:" a bad
choice unless you really have no alternative.

HTH

Liz