[thelist] Opera browser- now with a (free) new version

Grant emerge at ps.gen.nz
Mon Dec 11 13:03:44 CST 2000

> That's the problem with the large JavaScript sites of the past (Brattli,
> wdvl, javascript.internet.com, webreference, siteexperts, Dan Steinman):
> they don't pay any attention to the new DOM, which I personally think is
> kind of silly.
>
> For info, I can only point you to my own site:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/ under DHTML => Introduction and
> Intermediate
> DOMs
>
> >Opera Software has not yet implemented the DOM into the Opera browser.
>
> Not true. Opera 5 can do some DHTML, provided you use the W3C DOM.

Rubbish try this, no amount of opera ie5 ns6 spoofing will cure it's lack of
W3C DOM implementation.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<head>
<title></title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function domDetect(){
if(document.getElementsByTagName)
   {//DOM1 compliance ns6 and ie5 and anytime soon opera 4+
   return 'dom';
   }
if (document.all)
   {//ie4 all DOM
   return 'ie4';
   }
if (document.layers)
   {//ns4
   return 'ns4';
   }
if(document.images)
 {//pre4
 return 'pre4';
 }
}
alert(domDetect())
</script>
</head>

 Also opera5 support for 'regular expressions' in javascript is not very
good.