[thelist] Dreamweaver - Parse Includes Using JSP Syntax?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Dec 12 14:17:01 CST 2000

At 11:16 AM 12/12/0, Mark Gregor wrote:
> We're developing a JSP powered site using Dreamweaver and we're using
> JSP includes rather than standard Server Side Includes (SSIs).
> Dreamweaver is great for viewing SSI enabled pages as it shows the
> parsed SSIs in the editing window, making content manipulation much easier.
> Is there anyway to get Dreamweaver to parse JSP includes (which have <%@
> include file="/path/filename.ext"%> as their syntax) as it does with SSI
> includes?

Dreamweaver renders the results of Server Side Includes by use of its "Data
Translator" extensibility... you can add custom C code to your application
which retrieves, interprets, and inserts live content into the visual
design window, while the code specifying this display remains in your HTML
source window.

That's how the SSI rendering works... your HTML markup retains the
instructions on where to find the snippet, and the data translator
retrieves the specified snippet from your server and renders it in your
design window.

(There's a chapter on the mechanics in the Dreamweaver Extensibility
documentation, available as download from the Dreamweaver Support site or
available in printed edition for nominal cost.)

I don't know of anyone who has made a standalone JSP translator, mainly
because this is handled natively to much greater degree by Dreamweaver
UltraDev. It applies the data-translation abilities to ASP and ColdFusion
as well as to JSP, so the your markup can perform a full data retrieval
while showing deliverable contents in your "Live Data" preview. (The big
win here is that you can style the page while seeing how it will actually
appear, instead of having to make a styling test on code, serve the page to
a browser to see how the data appears, and repeat.)

so I'm not certain whether anyone would make a standalone translator for
static JSP includes. If you're interested in writing your own, then the DW
Extensibility docs contain more info.

jd