[thelist] Must a webmaster know databases???

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Dec 13 21:10:10 CST 2000

>As you pointed out, there is a difference between a webmaster and a web
>developer, though it seems that the line is getting blurred more and more.

and yet less and less -- when "creatives" get hired to make things
look pretty (and unusable) and "techies" get hired to develop
everything from HTML to backend scripts.

Ari, I'm in the exact same position as you.

Try job search with key words "web design" on dice.com.

I just added some scripting languages to my resume I really don't
feel comfortable with.  But I had to add them so I'd be competitive.
And in the next few weeks I intend to study databases, and to corner
the database guy and make him show me the little ASP he knows.   I've
already packed up my dual processor G4 (with all its sundry graphics
& fun multimedia software) and put it in a corner to make room for a
Win 98 machine so I can focus on Cold Fusion, etc.

I'm not a linear thinker, it takes me twice as long as the normal
idiot to learn any type of programming.  I do Thau's JavaScript
tutorial over and over & still don't quite get it... but I will.

The trade off is that creative thinking comes easily to me.  OTOH,
I'm too usability oriented to impress people much with my GUI design.

Recently my boss decided (get this) to restructure our web site
(herself), hire a Graphic Designer (consultant) to design the
interface (*clenching teeth*), and  another consultant to "help" me
write the code.

Boy do I feel useful now.  Apparently my job is now 'content
management,' (whatever is meant by that) because, I guess I can't
design, but I'm told I can write.

Can you say "detachment?"

Oh well.  Now I'm off to recreate by creating silly flash animations
for personal enjoyment.

<tip type="animation 101">

Try keeping it simple & theme oriented.  A simple, consistent idea
can be much more fun and much less pretentious than an extravagant
animation, and the result is more satisfying to a beginner.
Creativity and a sense of humor are key.

Flash is fun.  But I wouldn't use it to create web interfaces.

</tip>

Erika

erika at seastorm.com