[thelist] Adobe PDF Fill-in Forms

Scott_Brady at themoneystore.com Scott_Brady at themoneystore.com
Thu Dec 14 09:44:53 CST 2000

I'm actually working on a similar feature (although I'm actually pulling info
from a db, but the basics are the same).

You'll need some sort of CGI/Programming (I'm using Cold Fusion and a .dll com
object).  The basic steps of what you'll need to do are as follows:

1) Get the (free) Acrobat SDK:
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/main.html
2) Read the documentation in the SDK for help on creating an FDF file using HTML
forms.
3) Once you create an FDF, you'll use that as the file to serve to your visitors
(which will display the merged PDF).
4)  The PDF template can have separate buttons for "Print Me" and "Submit Me"

HOWEVER:  if your users only have Acrobat Reader, they will not be able to save
the pre-populated PDF to their computer.  (if they have the full Acrobat, I
believe they can).

(Alternatively, you can pay $2k - $3k for a program called PDFMerge which will
actually merge the FDF with the PDF into a file your users can save . . . .)

let me know if that doesn't help.

Scott

"Hayer, Jagjeet" <Jagjeet.Hayer at softwareag.co.uk> on 12/14/2000 03:55:49 AM

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org