[thelist] problems with Perl

Nick Koleszar nick at aussieinlondon.com
Thu Dec 14 11:05:20 CST 2000

Calling Perl/IIS experts.....

I am having problems with a new hosting service. Atleast I think the problem
is with the hosting service.

I have an identical set of Perl scripts on 3 servers. 1 server is NT4/IIS4
and the other 2 machines are Win2k/IIS5.

On the NT4 machine and one of the Win2k machines, the scripts run fine. On
my Win98 laptop with Apache and Active Perl,the scripts also run fine.

On one of the Win2k machines, the scripts do not work. A simple Hello World
script works but anyting which has to include external files fails.

Not sure what Perl the 2 working machines are using but the non-working one
is definitely Active Perl.

AS far as I can see, the 3rd machine does not allow/understand the relative
file paths the scripts are using.

The scripts are using,

require "./bbs.setup";

to include the files.

When I replace "./" with an absolute file path such as,

require "d:\/html\/users\/user1\/site1\/html\/cgi-bin\/bbs2\/bbs.setup";

the script runs fine at this point.

They have mapped file extensions to Perl so I do not need to include the
path to Perl in the head of the script and I have tried seeing if that makes
any difference which it does not.

Any heroes out there with suggestions as to how to change the server's
config or am I at fault here?

Nick Koleszar
nick at aussieinlondon.com