[thelist] Must a webmaster know databases???

Peter Small peter at genps.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 11:55:11 CST 2000

Ron Luther wrote:

>Nope, sorry - I guess I disagree (and that's okay) - it just doesn't make
>sense to me...

<snip>

>Sorry Dude ... It still sounds like a bunch of 'greenhorn MBA' talk to me.

To put you in the picture, Ron. This "greenhorn" has been around for a long
time. Although I've never worked for anyone or freelanced. A brief bio
(taken from one of my book covers):

Originally an electronic system design engineer, Peter Small engaged in a
variety of exotic entrepreneurial business enterprises during the 1970's
and 1980' - mostly revolving around the London fashion scene. In 1990 he
became one of the pioneers of multimedia, producing the award winning,
CD-ROM "How God Made God" - an interactive work that linked computers to
biological systems. His book "Lingo Sorcery" was a ground breaking
introduction to object oriented programming and the follow up book "Magical
A-Life Avatars" introduced many revolutionary new concepts to Internet  and
Web design philosophies. As a one time professional poker player and a
writer of an investment strategy course, his main interest now is in
applying game theory to Internet business and communications.

Since then I've written two books on e-business and am presently writing a
third. I'm speaking at the BOT2000 seminar in San Franciso in January where
I'm describing a technique for creating and maintaining a database with
bots.

I'm not tellng you this to impress you, but, just to let you know that the
description of an object oriented e-business scenario I gave is not based
upon pie in the sky theory - there's a lot of sound and pragmatic reasoning
behind it.

I'd appreciate therefore if you don't dismiss this as the fanciful ideas of
a dreamer and contribute some intelligent comment. I'd like to know if
there are people on this list who are working with this idea in mind and
are supplying functional units that can be used in modular design
strategies.

peter

http://www.petersmall.net