[thelist] HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Fri Dec 15 19:45:40 CST 2000

Most browsers send either HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1, but all browsers from
2.0 onward (I think) also send the Host: header. There are large
parts of the 1.1 spec that some of those older ones didn't implement
-- Keep-Alive, for example.

Jake

>Interesting - so the meta question is this - how do browsers decide what
>to provide to servers? Do they do any negotiation and decide to speak
>one or the other? I'm not asking because I want to read the HTTP spec -
>but in layman's terms - how do browsers and servers decide what to speak
>to each other? Can a server speak either/or/both for the same domain?
>
>	- Joe "the dangerously curious" Crawford
>--
Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others
belong to us as well. -Voltaire, philosopher, historian, satirist,
dramatist, and essayist (1694-1778)
   icongarden.com || littleblueeasy.com :: emailme at icongarden.com