[thelist] Weblog Specifications?

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Thu Dec 28 03:05:21 CST 2000

I think Martin is right as long as the requirement is that the blog is
required to operate on an internal server. Using Blogger in that case would
not be a great idea as it requires FTP access to the server it is to be
published on.

However, why not get a Blogger account and take a look at the service. I use
Blogger and would suggest that it is pretty much the "perfect" blog program.
You could work out how it basically functions in a couple of hours.
Essentially, a blog is a more complicated message board application.
Features you probably won't need for an internal project include FTP'ing of
files to another server, Javascript functions for basic formatting of bold,
italic and link tags, multiple templates. If you take those away, you've
basically got a message board with some archiving functions.

One major caveat, when I first read your suggestion, I found myself thinking
"Why a Blog?". It seems to me that a fault reporting system would be better.
This would log an incident time and description, steps taken towards
resolution and time of resolution. You could add fields like "Customer
originating complaint", "Technician in charge", "Department ID", "Computer
ID" etc as you needed. This wouldn't be much harder to write, but could be
customised completely towards your needs and would probably sound more
attractive to your superiors when it comes to being time to approve a
budget.

Good luck with the project anyways.

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com