[thelist] Web Based Source Safe

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu Jan 4 11:21:08 CST 2001

You heard it here first: I was wrong.

VSS *does* work with IIS. It took a new hire (on his second day, no less) to
show me up (and he has an original Star Wars poster, thebasterd). It does
protect the files and check them in and out, but there is a serious caveat
to it,

"To use source code control in Visual InterDev, always use the Visual
InterDev server-side commands (accessed by right-clicking the files in the
project pane). The client-side commands available on the Project\Source
Control menu do not work with the server-side source control databases
required by Visual InterDev." -- KB Article Q166259

It was that caveat that I read a while back (>1 yr) that memory morphed into
"VSS doesn't work with InterDev," which isn't an accurate statement.

That being said, you *can* have web files under source control. Here's the
place to start:
<wrap>
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q157/8/83.ASP
</wrap>