[thelist] tracert timeout

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Fri Jan 5 14:19:11 CST 2001

Couple things..

I tried tracing that address and got to *it* just fine. If you're having
problems with nothing showing after that, it could be a couple things..

The administrator of that particular router could be filitering out
certain types of ICMP, TCP, or UDP requests because they're afraid of
cracking attempts or denial of service(DOS) attacks.(on a side note,
doing this goes against x^23 number of RFC's and generally doesn't stop
anything to boot).

Seeing that no FTP traffic is getting through however probably makes the
above untrue though.. Either someone has their firewall(This appears to
be an Exodus IP) set way way to touchy, or something is misconfigured.

Its tough to see a solution with a limited amount of info.. What IP
address is it that you're trying to get to? Is it just FTP traffic or
all traffic?

Bit more info would help out :)

.djc.