[thelist] Anchor tags in NS4 CSS

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Jan 10 16:54:27 CST 2001

Andy,

> I'm trying to get a style sheet to work in NS4.x. However, NS does not
> seem to recognize the tags for The "A" anchor tag. Or, it just recognizes
> one of them. I've followed the documentation very closely.

>            A:link    { color: red }
>            A:active  { color: blue; font-size: 125% }
>            A:visited { color: green; font-size: 85% }

	WebReview
(http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml) claims that
Netscape 4.x only supports the :link pseudo-class, and not :active or
:visited. In my testing, however, I have gotten both :link and :visited to
work, but not :active.
	Also, keep in mind that your anchor must be a true hyperlink (i.e.,
contain an href attribute). And Netscape does not properly support the
font-size value even on the :visited pseudo-class (it assigns the same
font-size to all links).
	So, if you want Netscape 4.x to display your unique link coloration,
you will have to resort to using <body> attributes to make it work.
Otherwise, if default link colors are tolerable in your design, use the
standards-compliant (CSS) approach knowing that it will work well in most
browsers (assuming it's an Internet site with typical user agent
percentages), and will work tolerably in Netscape 4.x.

James Aylard