[thelist] Has anyone worked with dual IE versions?

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Jan 10 19:34:27 CST 2001

Ari,

> Therefore, since I have IE5.5 installed on my workstation, is it a simple
matter
> to also install IE5.0, or does that cause conflicts? I recall seeing a
Microsoft
> workaround at one point, but don't know if it is reliable. I  am running
> Win98SE.

	Short answer: it can't be done.
	Long answer: it can't be done on the same computer unless you have
another bootable partition on which to install it, or you have emulation
software such as VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) in which you can install
and run it. (BTW, you were probably thinking of the ability to run both IE 4
and either IE 5 or IE 5.5 on the same PC, but this is only with IE 4 running
in a "compatibility" emulation mode -- not recommended if you can avoid it.
And IE 4 has to be already installed at the time you install IE 5.x, and you
must check the "Compatibility mode" checkbox in the Advanced installation
options dialog box.)

hth,
James Aylard