[thelist] Filling up timesheets - good or bad?

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Thu Jan 11 05:31:28 CST 2001

I worked for a while with a larger company who had a similar system. If
there's no incentive to fill in timesheets, then people WILL forget/refuse
to do it and not take the job seriously. For management, timesheets can be
an invaluable tool for working out how much time is spent on what (duh!) and
then for making organisational changes that can increase effectivity. What
makes this worthwhile for the user though?

The company I worked with based their bonus scheme on time worked which was
billed to a client. This had the effect of getting everyone to fill in their
timesheets - which were linked to the billing system and would be used to
generate bills to clients.

The system had its downside. Firstly the time reporting program was
HORRENDOUS to use. Ugh - definitely the worst user interface I have ever
experienced. Secondly everyone wanted to be spending as much time on client
billed work as possible. This led to inefficiencies in the system and
clients receiving higher bills than they probably would have on a
"set-price" type contract. It also meant that people were less prepared to
work on internal projects etc unless these were marked as having the same
bonus related value as client work.

Overall I didn't like the system very much but mainly because it was too
rigid. However I was never in a position to do anything about it.

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net
 Cookstour - http://cookstour.org