[thelist] IIS file: Icon_: wtf is it?

Candace Maynard Candace.Maynard at popart.com
Thu Jan 11 13:05:37 CST 2001

Hi, Erika --

Macs use an HFS (hierarchical file system) file format.  This means that
the way the macs handle files are different from a PC at a fundamental
level.  This includes the data file (you want) and some invisible files
that provide information (probably you don't want).  (In case you start
running into inexplicable problems, you might have to consider this in
more detail, but you should be fine if you just copy the data files.)

icon files: those are those little images that macs use to indicate
directories or volumes (partitions, cd drives, etc.).  Basically
anything with a little icon on the desktop.  You shouldn't need them.
I'd archive them anyway, just because somebody either gathered them or
created them, and you never know; you might need them for an interactive
CD at some point.  :)

Good luck!

:)
Candace