[thelist] PHP/PostgreSQL

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sat Jan 13 15:30:31 CST 2001

> I have an idea for a project I want to try; here's the scenario:
>
> I have approximately 6,400 mp3 files...what I am thinking of doing is
> making an SQL database which contains all the the song titles along with
> artist and possibly genre to which they belong...then have a PHP file
> that would allow you to view all songs by title, artist or genre;; but
> would also allow you to search for a specific song...when the results
> are displayed, the visitor to the page could click on the song they want
> and it would play right from the web or execute their default mp3
> player...
>
> I know it will be extremely tedious and nerveracking - but IS it
> possible? if not - fine; but if it is possible, does anyone have ideas
> for where I should begin and how I can execute an external program via
> this type of interface.

Yes, it's possible. See: Napster   ;-)

Really, most of the things you list are things in Napster (genre is a little
sketchy, but the genre is usually in the "filename" that Napster uses (which
is actually relative path + filename)).

You can't "execute" an external program on a client. You just can't. BUT, you
can feed them an MP3 file (streaming or not) and it will be "read" by the
associated program in the client.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com