[thelist] Getting Started With Linux

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Sat Jan 13 18:47:31 CST 2001

Chris -

Always happy to see another person interested in checking out linux.. :)

What I'd recommend is purchasing a copy of Mandrake linux(7.2) (or Corel
Linux or RedHat7.0 are good too) at Best Buy or your local book store..
Couple reasons why.. Mandrake is really really easy to use and is geared
more towards the linux newbie who is making the swtich from windows to
linux, like yourself. Purchasing it will also get you all the
documentation, getting started guides, and stuff like that..

Once you're comfortable with it, you can try downloading and
experimenting with other distributions like redhat, caldera, or debian
at your leisure..

Once you're ready to hit CF & Linux, feel free to ask here.. Myself and
a few others have a good amount of experience with that duo(evolt.org
runs on that setup) and we're always willing to help out :)

Good luck and have fun!

.djc.