[thelist] IIS help needed!

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 12:08:38 CST 2001

> From: "Henry E. Lee, Jr." <hlee at lexmedia.com>
[...]
> I have a webserver that was running without incident for several months,
> aside from the occasional NT reboot or bug. Suddenly, the website goes down
> at random, about once per day.
>
> When you go to the URL, you get an "unable to display page" error message. I
> have tried to go to the domain name, the IP address, ASP pages and HTML
> pages inside the site, to see if I could deduce if it was an IP problem, DSN
> problem, ASP module problem, etc.

what's the number code on that error?

what else has happened on that that server?  while it is possible for
a machine to spit it chips and act up, it's unlikely without some
precipitous event...  is there a script up there that was added
recently?  some weird unterminating loops?  anything?

look for all files with a date on or after you first experienced those
problems (.dll, .asp, etc.) and look at them as well as track down
the owners... if you have version control, try rolling things back...

can i assume you don't have a staging environment?