[thelist] Quoted attibute values

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Mon Jan 15 13:36:31 CST 2001

Not quoting attribute values is a "web developer cardinal sin", and if you
don't quote all of your attributes you will undoubtedly be cast into the
depths of "Webmaster Heck" when it's your time to go.  And you don't want
that.

Plus, it's the spec.  XML and xHTML promise to be much more strict about
this thing, and eventually the browsers will start following at least PART
the spec (I'm an idealist, I know), and your old non-quoted pages will
invariably cease to function in those browsers.

Plus, it only takes a fraction of a second to add the quotes, and it makes
your code more readable, and as anyone who's written a parser will tell you,
it's a big pain in the ass to parse unquoted attributes vs. quoted.

Ahem.

And, a tip.

<tip type="tipping">
When you post a tip to the list, make SURE you quote the attributes, (i.e.
"type").  If not, your tip may not make it into the "thetips" database and
will fail to outlive you in posterity!
</tip>

Best Regards,

Seth