[thelist] advice for coders

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Jan 16 17:46:31 CST 2001

> When do I use a rectangle? When do I use a diamond?
> What's the right symbol for a decision?
>Anybody got any great bookmarks out there?

no, but i have an extra authentic ibm flowcharting template i could let you
have for a price -- you know, an actual plastic template with holes in it,
from back in the paper & pencil days (yes, i'm a real old fart)

i've got a couple extra pads of cobol and assembler coding sheets, too

boy, them were the days -- you'd meticulously print your code onto these
sheets, take them down to the keypunch section, plunk them in the In tray,
wait a day or two, get back the punch cards, insert them into your card
deck, carry the deck to the computer room window (you weren't allowed
inside), wait a day or two for the compile job to be run, then submit the
card deck to execute the program...

this process made you appreciate the value of *desk checking* to remove all
the logic and coding errors before the actual compile and test...

i fear this may have wandered slightly off topic, so here's a web dev tip

<tip>
see http://pastelhorn.com/project/js/scrollspy for a documented example of
a scrolling div
</tip>