[thelist] More interesting news / NetIQ buys WebTrends for $1 Billion

Michael Buffington mike at price.com
Wed Jan 17 12:45:31 CST 2001

Price.com uses Webtrends Enterprise to parse our daily log files
(200-400MB/day/site).  It takes about 12 hours total to download, parse, and
generate the reports.  We have a box dedicated to just Webtrends reporting,
with something like 512MB of ram and some heavy duty CPU's (dual).  I don't
even think it's overkill, as we've had to upgrade to what we have in order
to get our stats in our inbox in the mornings.  If we threw multiple
computers into the mix we could cut the time in half.

I'd love to see a good alternative to Webtrends that can do it quickly and
easily.

Also, for those with large log files, how are you managing those in the long
term?

We're archiving ours on tape backups, but we're curious about what other's
are doing.

Michael Buffington
mike at price.com
(714) 556-3890 x222