[thelist] a weird question

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 17 20:48:31 CST 2001

> Alright, I got a weird question, basically just for
> advice. The company I work for hired a company to do
> their corporate website right before they hired me.
> Well, they got payed a pretty pretty price to do and
> did a horrible job. I know that on my own I could do a
> much better job and I offered to redesign and I'm
> going to work on that. The question is, they pay me
> less than I probably should get and I'm doing them a
> huge favour by doing this. Do you think I'm entilted
> to some sort of raise or bonus? I'm a lot cheaper than
> the company they used before. What do you all think?

Hi Sarah,

One thing that Martin mentioned recently (I think it was on the admin list)
was the possibility of having a title change if a raise in salary is not
going to happen.

Basically, you'd tell the company that you think your current/future tasks
are a little bit above your current job specification, and if a raise is not
possible, can they consider a change of title. ie, from "Web Developer" to
something that implies project management, initiative, even seniority (we're
a fresh industry - it is possible to have "Senior Web Developers" who are in
their early 20's).

You might think that a job title is meaningless, but it has power on a
resume, especially for someone of your age. If you are young and have direct
evidence of having initiated and managed an entire project (more or less),
you may raise your future job prospects.

That said, if you end up working for yourself, it's a little less useful.
Also note that I do all of the things you've mentioned in your email plus
more (building databases, coding backends, designing/coding frontends,
writing proposals, and running my business) and I usually refer to myself as
a Web developer, so there's nothing wrong with that. Just depends on your
scenario and future goals.

isaac

isaac: triple zero digital
dynamic internet solutions