[thelist] tip: Macs and memory

John Kershaw johnkershaw at email.com
Thu Jan 18 05:22:31 CST 2001

>IOW, if you opened:
>
>Eudora
>Browser of your choice
>WYSIWYG
>Image editor
>
>...you should close them in this order:
>
>Image editor
>WYSIWYG
>Browser of your choice
>Eudora

<tip type="Macs and memory">

Very true - this can make an enormous difference to how often you
have to reboot your machine.  Also think carefully about the initial
order you launch applications in - fire up your old trusty's first
(BBEdit, Eudora, iTunes, Fetch, Browser?) that'll be running from now
til shutdown - even if you're not planning to use them til later in
the session.  *Then* run any 'temporary' applications (QuickTime
Player to view that home video from Aunt Nelly).  That way you can be
opening and closing 'temporary' applications in reverse order without
leaving any 'memory gaps'.

I even wrote a little Applescript called 'Close Some Applications'
which lists current application *in the order they were launched* and
allows me to quit any/all, thereby ensuring I've not inadvertently
closed apps in the wrong order.

</tip>
John.