[thelist] Synchronised E-Mail System

John Mikkelsen john at design.co.nz
Thu Jan 18 20:35:31 CST 2001

I'm developing a new version of a piece of software we use to process orders
from our websites.  The software is being written in VB6 and is of a
client/server architecture.  Our server is running MS Small Business Server
4.5, which is basically a version of NT 4 that comes with SQL Server 7.0,
Exchange Server 5.5 and other BackOffice apps.  The client boxes are Win98
with Office 2000 etc. installed.

The websites send each order to a mailbox ie orders at something.com.  The
order processing client software will integrate with the e-mail application
(Eudora, or Outlook) on the PC to parse each order and store the details on
the SQL Server (very basic overview).

The problem I have is that I need some way to synchronise the e-mails on
each of the client pcs. The mailbox settings, folders and account setup have
to always be in sync between each of the clients.  When e-mail is received
on one, it shows up on the other, when a new folder is created on one, it is
created on the other etc.

Traditionally the client PCs had used Eudora (to avoid pesky Outlook
security errors) however it doesn't seem to be possible to set Eudora up in
this way.  Is it possible to use Exchange Server/Outlook to do what I need,
or is there some other solution?

Any help would be appreciated,

John Mikkelsen
INK Electronic Media