[thelist] a weird question

Ruth Arnold ruth at spacehoppa.com
Fri Jan 19 10:16:41 CST 2001

I agree with all that's been said so far on this matter. Do the web site
work and *then* ask for the raise.

There's really no point throwing out the baby with the bath water. Look on
badly paid jobs as paying your dues on the road to better paid work.

Money is only money, but knowledge and experience can keep you well fed for
life. Making a trade-off between short-term needs and long-term goals, in
favour of the long-term goals is a smart move.

The corollary to that is to know when to move on and change jobs. If at the
end of the day you don't think your boss will ever see you as anything more
than the box they've put you in, find a new job and reinvent yourself
amongst people who have fewer preconceptions about your abilities.

Sometimes you just outgrow a job and your employers don't want to or can't
see it. But make sure you take on all the new jobs that they offer you in
the meantime. It'll come good in the end.

ruth arnold
spacehoppa.com