[thelist] dear Jakob (was: scrolling news tickers)

gyrus gyrus at mail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:52:31 CST 2001

Amanda Erickson wrote:

> Not to pick on your personally and not to start a flame
> war but can we please have a moratorium on linking to
> dear Jakob [Nielsen]. I want to hear from real developers
> who make real sites that work on why something is or
> isn't a good idea.

William Anderson replied:

> but these are real design and usability issues being
> discussed in the alert boxes ... I wouldn't quote or
> link Jakob in vain unless I thought he had valid points

Agreed - no one likes a smart-ass, but the guy obviously
puts a lot of work behind those almost-too-pithy usability
maxims. I'm sure he has more contact with actual users
than most developers here. He does have a kind of single
vision about the web, brilliantly pointed out in Curt
Cloniger's article:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/marsvenus/

But even though many designers may be sick of
hearing about and from the guy, some people may not
have heard much, and there are some sound lessons
to be learnt from his work. So a moratorium on linking
to him doesn't seem like a great idea.

see ya,
- Gyrus
gyrus at mail.com