[thelist] a weird question

Jay Greenspan jay at trans-city.com
Fri Jan 19 11:57:31 CST 2001

> Which comes down to:
> Experience is A Good Thing. Gaining it now will reap rewards in the
> future, even if you don't get paid well at the moment.

I'm going to mention one more thing here. This may be completely unnecessary
or a bit sappy. Feel free to give me a smack on the back of the head in
Austin for even posting this.

I believe in getting paid. I believe in getting all the salary you can get
-- and them some, if at all possible.

However...

I took a job a couple of years ago that required me to take a steep cut in
pay. At the time, without any major debt to service and a working spouse, I
could afford it. I didn't like the track my career was and thought this job
would get me going in the right direction.

It did. I now love my work and feel I'm well compensated.

But there was another reason I took the job. It was clear in the interview
that the job would give me the opportunity to work with some amazing people
in a wonderful environment.

I don't think a day went by when I didn't learn something cool and laugh
really, really hard.

I understand the need to go for the highest offer. But if you're ever
fortunate enough to come across an opportunity like this, where you'll be
really happy during the course of your work day, don't turn it down.

Lord was that sappy. I'm going to smack myself now.

-j