[thelist] a weird question

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Fri Jan 19 13:06:31 CST 2001

> *Do not* throw away the chance to do this for a few
> dollars. If you're at the start of your career, for
> goodness' sake get this on your resume.

Precicely!  Don't think of it as being underpaid for your work.  Think of it as getting the chance to learn a much more relevant skills set than you could the old fashioned way (university), and getting paid for your it instead of paying tuition.

When I was at MS, I was getting a customer service agent's salary for doing web design.  Sure, I was getting screwed on wages at the time.  But I learned enough in the process that when I decide it was time to leave, the first company I looke at offered me a salary 42% above what I'd been making.

And now that I've outlearned that salry, I'm back to the underpaid place.  But I've still got more "classes" to mooch from this employer before heading back into the job market.  ;)

It's not all about the salary; benefits are a *huge* factor.  And education is just about the best benefit you can find (IMHO)!

--ray