[thelist] superscript woes

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Fri Jan 19 13:51:31 CST 2001

aardvark --

>now, i *hate* using <span>, but advantage is that in NN, it doesn't
>superscript it, thereby keeping my line-height intact, while IE does
>what i want...
>
>any opinions?  experience?  help in allowing me to do the horrible

Reasons to use the <span> in this case:

1) You never do it otherwise, so it's not like you'll have to go back and
edit a million different spans if something changes.

2) It will improve the cross-browser display and degradability of the site.

3) It's not like you're changing a style sheet element in the traditional
sense, eg, you're not setting a color or face on the font that could change
with a subsequent redesign, you're using it to make a standard typographic
symbol behave correctly in a browser that has a history of bad display.

I say use it and be glad there's a viable work-around.

David