[thelist] superscript woes

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 14:19:42 CST 2001

> From: McCreath_David <McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us>
>
> Reasons to use the <span> in this case:
>
> 1) You never do it otherwise, so it's not like you'll have to go back and
> edit a million different spans if something changes.

while this is true, i also never pour kerosene on my pants and light
it... so i suppose just this once... yeah, i know, it's a lame-ass
inappropriate analogy, but it's hard to overcome my distaste for

> 2) It will improve the cross-browser display and degradability of the site.

yeah, but i fear i'm losing structural markup, even though i don't
see how a <sup> applies any structure to a document -- it *is* a
visual tag, after all...

> 3) It's not like you're changing a style sheet element in the traditional
> sense, eg, you're not setting a color or face on the font that could change
> with a subsequent redesign, you're using it to make a standard typographic
> symbol behave correctly in a browser that has a history of bad display.

good point... btw, did anybody notice my CSS?  any comments?  i
think it does the job quite well since it can be used anywhere on a
site (within any other styles) and inherits its properties from the
parent rather nicely...

> I say use it and be glad there's a viable work-around.

yeah, i've already told everyone here to do it that way, and then
when browsers get caught up, it'll be a matter of a simple s-n-r of a
standard <span> to a <sup> (perhaps), along with removal of the
dot from the class....