Jakob Nielsen (was Re: [thelist] scrolling news tickers)

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Fri Jan 19 15:25:31 CST 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> Here's a deal - I'll stop pushing those things when people
> stop suggesting the bad ideas that they prevent.

Let me clarify my view (I speak only for myself): I don't necessarily
disagree with anything that anyone has stated throughout this discussion.
I simply wanted to echo Amanda's comment that it's often more valuable to
hear from real-world folks who are figuring out how they should do things
(that's you) rather than from someone who makes his living telling people
how they should do things (that's Nielsen). Frankly, having read this list
for awhile (I lurked for ages), I respect your opinion more than his.
Again, this doesn't mean that I never agree with him, or that his
information isn't valuable, it just means that my _top_priority_ is to
hear it from _you_, with, if necessary, some backup from a linked article.

> Reminds me of an old orchestra story (this is the abbreviated
> version):

I've always liked that one. :)

> <tip type="arguing with subject authorities">
> If you disagree with a respected authority, ensure that you have
> facts and research at a more thorough level than theirs to cite
> before you dispute their authority.
>
> Arguments on the scale of "ooh, I don't think so" don't cut it.
> </tip>

Authorities are great, when they're right, but:
1. They can't be right all the time, so I like to question them (even
without appropriate research; intuition has value, too), and
2. Dissemination of information is part of the process; it can't always
come from one specific source.

Once again, I've managed to write far too much and say way too little. To
summarize: Nielsen may be right, but he's not on the list. I'd rather
hear your opinion first.

I was too strongly negative before. Please consider this a show of support
for you and other list members, rather than a rejection of other views.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net