[thelist] Jumping into Java

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sun Jan 21 14:52:33 CST 2001

> Why would you want to do this? The minute someone wants to run an app
> on my machine without my knowledge, I questions their intent. I
> usually turn my java off, most apps crash my browser. Java is dead.

Um, not quite.

> It's always been dead. Since birth.

That's funny, because I always get job offers solely for listing "Java" as one
of my skills.

> Java is essentially a marketing
> trick with little value. It's slow, ugly, kludgy and crash prone.

It's slower than certain languages, but that's the trade-off for
platform-independant capability.

> As
> far as I can see, there has yet to be a legitimate implementation of
> Java that couldn't be more properly dealt with, with another solution.

Ok. You are a software developer that is creating a server-side application
and it has to run on the client's machine, no matter what the platform. What's
the other, better solution? Are you in favor of maintaining X-many versions of
the same application?

Also, note that there are Java compilers which will turn Java source into
platform-specific fully-compiled code. So, one solution would be to write in
Java, and then compile fully-compiled code for each platform.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com