[thelist] Dreamweaver 4 - Can't Edit in Code View

Mark Gregor mark at velir.com
Mon Jan 22 19:51:31 CST 2001

I love you Macromedia guys! (no sarcasm intended in that sentence!)

> Key qualifier: can never-ever copy/paste anything in any
> document?

Yep, as far as I can tell, whenever I'm in the HTML Inspector, I can't copy and paste reliably within that window.  If I have something already in the clipboard, it will paste into the document, but it pastes as if I was pasting *into the visual editor*, not the code inspector.  As an example, if I have the text ASDF ASDF in my clipboard and I enter the code inspector (via F10) and try to paste it above the <head> tag, it pastes it into the body area.

Now, even weirder, if I minimize the visual editing window, but keep the code inspector open, I can paste anywhere I want.  Its as if it still thinks I'm in the visual editor even though the code inspector is definitely the one in focus.

> Just on a pure hunch I'd wonder whether you were in a particular document
> which was a template instance...

Nope, happens every time.  Just tried with a bare bones HTML file.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  This definitely didn't happen in DW3, and it's killing my productivity.

Thanks much (and good luck with the Merger with Allaire!).

Mark