[thelist] Debugging a New PC

Peter Beckler naplescom at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 21:44:31 CST 2001

Sorry if this is old advice. I'm new to the list and didn't see the earlier
posts on this thread.

Have you tried using something to see what's currently running, and then
getting rid of everything including whatever virus scan you're using. If you
aren't using AntiVirus Pro (avp.com), don't bother anyway. Norton AV will do
that too. And it doesn't catch half the stuff out there. AVP is updated
every couple of days, it's smaller and faster, and better.

Use startup cop to see what's running and disable everything except the
system tray and explorer. If that doesn't work, you've got to reinstall
Windows. There are a couple more things, but I won't bore you. Oh, delete
your autoexec.bat and config.sys if you have either. Yeah, it could be a
driver. Have you recently installed hardware?

Peter B.