[thelist] Debugging a New PC

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Mon Jan 22 22:29:31 CST 2001

> the moment I start up, my CPU usage seems to be running at about
> 95-98%. (This sucker is working HARD, and there's nothing going on...)

I've never touched Windows ME, but is there a way to get the equivalent of
NT's Task Manager? Task Manager is a great help. If you ever wonder why your
system is running poorly, just right-click your taskbar, choose Task
Manager. Select the Processes tab, and use the buttons below that to order
your processes by CPU, Mem Usage, etc.

If something is causing trouble, you can just use End Task in the
Applications tab, or End Process.

For example, for the last 2 minutes, I've noticed Outlook2K being unusually
sluggish. Task Manager reports Netscape 3 as using 93-97% CPU. End Process
Netscape 3, and now Outlook2K (and everything else) is happy again.

isaac